Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Some thoughts on heavy lifting




If you want to get "ripped" and stronger, or both, you know you need to lift hard. You can't just go to the gym, curl 3 sets of 5lbs and expect to grow. It just doesn't work like that.

Heavy rep range is 6 - 10 reps. Anything above that and you're out there to tone and burn fat. This may be fine for some who are new to strength training and just want to causally lift weights. But if you're training with me or if you witness one of my workouts, you'll know I push hard and with intensity. And I get results.

From what I've learned about heavy lifting an important aspect is intensity. Sure, I can curl 15lb dumbbells five times, but then again, I can also push out 3 reps after that.

Remember:
perfect form and determination dictate intensity.

The idea for muscle definition is to go to absolute failure. This is heavy lifting. You need to lift until you can't get any more reps, than go for another. If you can't get it, keep trying.

Remember:
Push for at least 15 seconds.


When I know that there is no possible way I am getting another rep, I'll hold the weight where it is until it slowly starts to come down. Then I'll try and bring it down as slow as possible.

Now go out there and build some guns!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment